22.6.12

Sniff sniff

Ingredients:

Top: Bergamot, lemon, pepper, juniper berries
Heart: Incense, pine needles, orris
Base: Amber, vanilla, sandalwood
My first perfume love was Ysatis by Givenchy. I was young and my heart soon drifted to another love: La nuit by Paco Rabanne. I whiffed La nuit for the first time in Italian Vogue and had to wait a while to get the bottle to be able to actually spray it on my skin. This was a short affair, we were not meant to be. 
I have sniffed, tried and purchased many scents since, but never actually gone through a whole bottle, finding most scents to be too complicated. Four scores and seven years after La nuit, there was Gypsy water.
This fragrance is from the Stockholm based perfume house Byredo, founded in 2006 by Ben Gorham. I tried Gypsy water when it first came out, at Storm in Copenhagen and oddly enough.. the smell kind of reminded me of an old suitcase!(?) Slightly off-putting I might say. I nevertheless decided to give it another try while visiting NYC in January this year. I spotted a bottle while taking a quick stroll through Barneys, tried it and instantly liked it. I hesitantly bought the bottle thinking of my elaborate perfume collection and knowing that I would never finish this one either. I was wrong.
Gypsy water is a very delicate scent on my skin and it doesn't last very long. It is like a hint of a scent which is what I like about it. I don't use it every day. For the moment I also use Hanae Mori # 2 and La Chasse aux papillon by L'Artisan Parfumeur, both eau de toilette, but most days I use Gypsy water. I love the minimalistic design of the bottle, the ethereal sweet, powdery yet fresh fragrance and the bohémien name. Gypsy water comes in 50 ml and 100 ml bottles and also a small box of 3x4 ml (purse size bottles). I think Gypsy water is supposed to be uni-sex, which might explain the ol´ suitcase smell :)
Xx Eva

No comments :

Post a Comment